Vermicelli Upma also known as Semia upma is an interesting variation of the common South Indian Breakfast recipe of Upma. This dish is made from vermicelli instead of semolina which is used to make Upma.
It is a simple and easy breakfast recipe. You can add any vegetables of your choice to make the dish more wholesome and filling. The dish traces its origin to South India and is more popular there. However, it has now become quite popular in other parts of the country as well.
Vermicilli Upma is a light dish which is quite popular for breakfast. But it can also be taken as a snack along with tea. This savoury snack is loved by the kids and has much more nutrition than most of the fast foods.
- Dry roast the vermicilli in a pan.
- Heat oil in a pan. When the oil becomes hot, add Mustard Seeds (Rai) to it. When the seeds starts to crackle, add Urad Dal. Fry till the dal becomes golden in color. Add finely chopped onions, curry leaves and green chillies. Let them cook for a minute.
- Add Red Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder (Haldi) and Salt (as per taste).
- Add finely chopped tomatoes, carrots and peas and cook till the raw smell of tomatoes is gone.
- Now add 1 cup of water to the pan and bring it to a boil.
- Add the roasted Semiya (Vermicelli) to the water.
- Turn the heat to low. Stir till almost all the water is dried up and soaked by the vermicelli. Then turn off the heat and cover the pan. Let it sit for 8-10 minutes.
- Now add some finely chopped coriander leaves and sprinkle some lemon juice on top.
- Mix all the ingredients well. Semiya Upma is ready. Serve it hot.
- Vermicelli (Semiya) – 30 gms
- Udad dal – 15 gms
- Onion – 1 small size
- Tomatoes – 1 small size
- Carrot – 1 small size
- Green Chillies – 2 in no
- Curry Leaves (Kadi Patta) – 6-7
- Peas – ¼ cup
- Water – 1 and ½ cup
- Brown Mustard Seeds (Rai) – ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder (Haldi) – ¼ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt - as per taste
- Lemon Juice – ½ tsp
- Chopped Coriander Leaves – handful
- Oil – 1 tsp
ENERGY - 230 Kcal
PROTEIN – 6.5 gms
CARBOHYDRATES – 40 gms
FATS – 7 gms
- Keto diet
- Main course
- Desserts, drinks, soups and shakes
- Breakfast, snacks, salads and dips
- Indian cuisine
- Pulses And Legumes
- Cereals And Grains