Kodo millet khichdi
Kodo millet is also known as cow grass, rice grass, ditch millet or Indian cow grass. Millets are extremely healthy and a powerhouse of nutrients. Kodo millet is a good substitute to rice or wheat. Protein, fiber and mineral content are much higher than other cereals. It can be cooked just like rice or ground into flour. It provides balance nutrition.
- Wash and soak dal and millet in enough water for about 2 hours. Drain and set aside.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds. Let the seeds splutter for a minute.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute then add chopped onions and green chilli.
- Saute for few minutes or until onion is light golden in colour.
- Add tomatoes, salt, turmeric powder and garam masala powder. Cook until tomatoes are soft.
- Transfer the millets and dal into the cooker and add water.
- Cook for 3-4 whistles in the pressure cooker. Turn off the heat and wait until the pressure is released from cooker.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot with raita or curd.
- Kodo millet- 15 gms
- Yellow moong dal- 15 gms
- Onion-50 gms (chopped)
- Tomatoes- 50 gms (chopped)
- Green chilli- 1 (finely chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste- ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Curry leaves- 5-6
- Fresh coriander leaves- 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Garam masala powder- ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Water- as required
- Ghee- 1 tsp
- Salt- as per taste
Energy: 182 kcals
Carbohydrates: 24.49 gms
Proteins: 7.24 gms
Fats: 5.74 gms
- Keto diet
- Main course
- Desserts, drinks, soups and shakes
- Breakfast, snacks, salads and dips
- Indian cuisine
- Pulses And Legumes
- Cereals And Grains