A super easy, healthy and a gluten free recipe. Sorghum, popularly known in India as Jowar, is a cereal grain and has been a part of human diet for more than 5000 years. It is one of the most commonly used cereal grains in the world.
Sorghum or Jowar is a type of millet and is a gluten free grain. It is rich in vitamins and minerals, along with providing great protein content and making up for a large portion of your dietary fiber. Due to its high dietary fiber it is one of the best foods in the world for improving digestion.
It is a rich source of calcium and magnesium and hence extremely beneficial for the health of your bones. Helps in controlling diabetes and helps in weight loss. There are many healthy benefits tied up to this humble Sorghum or Jowar.
- Wash and soak the jowar overnight or for minimum of 8-10 hours.
- Once soaked pressure cook it for 5-6 whistles. It takes time to get soft. Or In a heavy bottom pan cook them in boiling water.
- In a wok or a pan add in the oil.
- Once hot add the hing, cumin seeds and mustard.
- Let the seeds crackle. Once it splutters add the curry leaves, onion, garlic and ginger and let it cook for 3-4 minutes on medium until translucent.
- Then add in the vegetables, tomatoes and let them cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add the jowar, salt, coriander, Chili and water.
- Let this cook on medium flame for 10-12 minutes stirring in between until the jowar is cooked.
- If in case the jowar is not done during boiling, add enough water while making the pulao and let it simmer on slow for 10-12 minutes. It will get cooked.
- Serve hot.
- Jowar – 30 gms
- Onion – 25 gms (chopped)
- Tomato – 25 gms (chopped)
- Carrots – 25 gms (chopped)
- Beans – 25 gms (chopped)
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Ginger – ½ inch (finely chopped)
- Garlic – 1 clove (finely chopped)
- Green chillies – 2 (finely chopped)
- Coriander leaves – handful (chopped)
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – 3-4
- Hing – 1-2 pinch
- Water – 250 ml
- Salt – as per taste
Energy: 204 Kcals
Carbohydrates: 31.29 gms
Proteins: 5.56 gms
Fats: 6.3 gms
- Keto diet
- Main course
- Desserts, drinks, soups and shakes
- Breakfast, snacks, salads and dips
- Indian cuisine
- Pulses And Legumes
- Cereals And Grains