Foxtail millet upma
Foxtail millet upma is a healthy and delicious South Indian savory breakfast dish made with foxtail millets, spices and vegetables. Foxtail millet is also known as kangni in Hindi. Foxtail millet is a good substitute for rava, they are high in fiber and rich in nutrient. They are filling and hence make a good diabetic friendly ingredient as well. This millet upma is easy to make. It is a complete and satisfying meal.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker over medium heat; add mustard seeds and split urad dal and allow it to crackle. Allow the urad dal to turn golden brown and crisp.
- Once the dal is golden brown, add the green chilli and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the onion, ginger and saute until the onions soften. Once the onion softens, add the curry leaves, turmeric powder, carrots, foxtail millet, salt and water.
- Cover the pressure cooker and pressure cook the millet upma for 5 to 6 whistles and simmer for 5 minutes and turn off the heat. Allow the pressure to release naturally
- Once the pressure releases, give it a gentle stir. Squeeze in the juice from one lemon and stir in the chopped coriander leaves.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot.
- Foxtail millet- 30 gms
- Urad dal- 10 gms
- Onion- 25 gms (finely chopped)
- Carrot- 25 gms (finely chopped)
- Ginger- ½ tsp (finely chopped)
- Green chillies- 2 (finely chopped)
- Mustard seeds- ½ tsp
- Curry leaves- 6-7
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Lemon juice- 1
- Fresh coriander- 3 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Oil- 1 tsp
- water- as required
- Salt- as per taste
Energy: 188 kcals
Carbohydrates: 26.7 gms
Proteins: 6.2 gms
Fats: 6.2 gms
- Keto diet
- Main course
- Desserts, drinks, soups and shakes
- Breakfast, snacks, salads and dips
- Indian cuisine
- Pulses And Legumes
- Cereals And Grains