BEETROOT & CHICKPEA TIKKI
Beetroot Chickpea tikki are a very healthy, delicious pan fried patties that are prepared with cooked chickpeas and beetroots that are ground together with Indian spices. This mixture is mixed with crushed peanuts and shaped into tikkis and pan fried to a crisp tikki.
This beetroot and chickpea tikki are healthy and a protein rich evening snack and a great alternative to a tikki made with potatoes that are high in calories. It is also a diabetic friendly snack recipe that you can have along with your snack.
Serve this beetroot chickpea tikki along with chutney or as a healthy & light evening snack or as an appetizer or starter at brunch.
- Wash and soak chickpeas in enough water overnight.
- The next day, add the chickpeas into the pressure cooker, add any additional water, salt and pressure cook the chickpeas for 5-6 whistles. After 6 whistles, turn the heat to low and continue to cook for 10 more minutes.
- Release the pressure from the cooker naturally. It will approximately take 20 to 30 minutes to cook the chickpeas.
- To a pressure cooker add the peeled and diced beetroots along with 2 tablespoons water and cook for 2 whistles. Turn off the heat and allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Drain excess water from the cooked beets and chickpeas.
- To a mixer or a food processor, add the cooked beetroot and cooked chickpeas along with coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, amchur powder, asafoetida and salt as per your taste.
- Grind this mixture to a smooth paste without adding any water. The Beetroot Chickpea tikki mixture has to be thick in order to shape it like a tikki.
- Transfer the Beetroot Chickpea Tikki mixture into a bowl and add besan. Mix all ingredients well.
- Mix everything together and check for salt. Divide it into small balls and slightly flatten the balls in the shape of tikkis.
- Keep the rava in another plate.
- Dip the prepared Beetroot Chickpea Tikki and roll into rava.
- Heat a nonstick pan on medium flame, add oil. Place the Beetroot Chickpea Tikki and shallow fry until it turns golden and crisp on both sides.
- Serve this Beetroot Chickpea Tikki along with chutney and have it as a healthy & light evening snack.
- Beetroot – 50 gms (peeled and cut into small cubes)
- Chickpeas – 30 gms (soaked overnight)
- Besan – 2 tsp
- Rava – 2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – ¼ tsp
- Coriander Powder – ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powder – ¼ tsp
- Garam masala powder – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Amchur – ¼ tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Salt – as per taste.
ENERGY: 260 Kcals.
CARBOHYDRATES: 42.8 gms
PROTEINS: 7.1 gms
FATS: 6 gms
- Keto diet
- Main course
- Desserts, drinks, soups and shakes
- Breakfast, snacks, salads and dips
- Indian cuisine
- Pulses And Legumes
- Cereals And Grains