Health Tip Details
Is my vaginal discharge normal?
I have a lot of females coming to me complaining about white discharge. This discharge is known as leucorrhea, and it's completely normal. However, if the discharge is accompanied by itching and has a thick, cottage cheese-like consistency or appearance, or has a weird colour and foul smell then it’s not normal and needs treatment.
Colour of the discharge and what it means:
Thick, White Discharge
If thick, white discharge goes along with other symptoms, such as itching, burning and irritation, it is probably due to a yeast infection. If not, then it is normal.
Yellow discharge is not normal. It is a sign of a bacterial infection or sexually transmitted infection(STI). It can be odorless or may have a foul odor.
Brown discharge may be caused by irregular period cycles. If brown discharge keeps appearing, then visit a gynecologist. This could be a sign of uterine or cervical cancer.
Having green discharge is abnormal. This is a sign of bacterial infection or an STI, such as trichomonas’s. This needs treatment.
Yeast Infection Discharge
Yeast infection discharge is caused by an overgrowth of fungus in the vagina. Symptoms of yeast infection discharge include a thick, white, cottage cheese-like discharge, along with itching, redness, irritation and burning. Almost 90 percent of women will have a yeast infection at some point in their life. Yeast infections are not contagious and can be treated with anti-fungal creams. However, if the infection keeps occuring you need to see a gynaecologist.
Causes of abnormal leucorrhea:
- Uses of antibiotics
- Birth control pills
- Diabetes or anaemia
- Tight or synthetic undergarments
- Poor hygiene
- Urinary tract infection
- Irritation due to contraceptives that are inserted into vagina.
Other noninfectious possible causes include inflammation or irritation of the vagina from a scented product such as soap, pads or tampons, low estrogen levels etc
Infections are treated with antibiotics. Often just one dose of antibiotics by mouth is enough. Another option is to use antibiotics in vaginal cream or gel form, especially if you have significant side effects when you take antibiotics by mouth. Also, the vaginal cream can be more soothing for the inflamed, sore vaginal lining.
Essential oils work really well with this condition too. Red thyme, clarysage etc are good antifungal oils which can be used in a sitz bath to treat this condition. You may get in touch with me to know more about this.
Also, diet helps in these conditions.
Foods to be taken during abnormal leucorrhea:
- Include berries, bananas, lemon, oranges, green leafy vegetables, yogurt, brown rice, onions, okra, as well as healthy herbs and spices such as ginger, garlic, fenugreek and coriander.
- Chewing betel nuts after meal is very helpful.
- Include foods rich in fiber, protein, carbohydrates and other essential nutrients, as they not only help to treat leukorrhea but also prevent its recurrence.
- Increase intake of fruits, vegetables and salads.
- Include plenty of nuts, whole grains and seeds.
- Increase liquids in diet such as soups, water, milk and juice.
Foods to avoid during abnormal leucorrhea:
- Avoid food made of white flour.
- Avoid spicy and fried food completely.
- Tea, coffee, alcohol, aerated drinks and other condiments.
- Avoid all types of meat when suffering from leukorrhea because the consumption of it only worsen the condition.
- Avoid tinned or canned foods.
- Avoid bread, mushrooms, sweets and other food items that have been fermented.
- Sugar must be totally avoided.
Home remedies for abnormal leucorrhea:
- Soak 1 tsp of coriander seeds in a cup of water overnight. In morning swallow the seeds and drink the water for a month.
- Wash rice and strain it. Add pure honey to this water before consuming it. This is a good remedy to get rid of itchiness and fatigue.
- A glass of lemon water daily in the morning is highly beneficial.
- Fenugreek tea used as a douche is very effective in clearing leukorrhea.
- Vagina should be washed regularly with neem water.
- A cold hip bath twice a day for 10 minutes will help relieve congestion in the pelvic region and facilitate quick elimination of morbid matter.
I hope I have helped you to understand your body better. Along with the treatment if you also pay attention to diet and home remedies you will definitely be able to fight this condition better.
Eat right, be fit and keep reading my blogs!!!
Most Popular Tips
EAT RIGHT, STAY FIT AND LOSE WEIGHT DURING RA..
06 May 2019
THE WONDER FOOD: CHIA SEEDS
19 Jun 2018
Triphala – An Ayurvedic Miracle
07 Jun 2018
Health Tip Categories
Related Health Tips
ARE MY STRESS LEVELS HARM..
I see a lot of patients every day and a large chunk of the crowd that I tend to are from the corporate sector. There isn’t denying the fact that corporate lifestyle offers you a good standard of..
Fight Covid-19 with these..
With the outbreak of coronavirus, comes the fear of contracting it. A lot of you have already read about it and know that boosting your immunity is the best you can do to fight Covid-19.&nb..