Health Tip Details
HOW CAN I MANAGE KIDNEY STONES?
Kidney stones are very common nowadays. I get many patients who are suffering from this. However, most often than not, surgery is not required. You can manage kidney stones by following the below mentioned tips:
Drinking a lot of fluid is important for treating and preventing all types of kidney stones. Staying hydrated (having enough fluid in your body) will keep your urine diluted. This makes it harder for stones to form.
- Water is best.
- You can also drink ginger ale, lemon-lime sodas, and fruit juices.
- Drink enough liquids throughout the day to make at least 2 quarts (2 litres) of urine every 24 hours.
- Drink enough to have light-coloured urine. Dark yellow urine is a sign you are not drinking enough.
Limit your coffee, tea, and cola to 1 or 2 cups (250 or 500 millilitres) a day. Caffeine may cause you to lose fluid too quickly, which can make you dehydrated.
Diet and Calcium Stones
Follow these guidelines if you have calcium kidney stones:
- Drink plenty of fluids, particularly water.
- Eat less salt. Chinese and Mexican food, tomato juice, regular canned foods, and processed foods are often high in salt. Look for low-salt or unsalted products.
- Have only 2 or 3 servings a day of foods with a lot of calcium, such as milk, cheese, yogurt, oysters, and tofu.
- Eat lemons or oranges, or drink fresh lemonade. Citrate in these foods prevents stones from forming.
- Limit how much protein you eat. Choose lean meats.
- Eat a low-fat diet.
DO NOT take extra calcium or vitamin D, unless the provider who is treating your kidney stones recommends it.
- Watch out for antacids that contain extra calcium. Ask your doctor which antacids are safe for you to take.
- Your body still needs the normal amount of calcium you get from your daily diet. Limiting calcium may actually increase the chance that stones will form.
Ask your doctor before taking vitamin C or fish oil. They may be harmful to you.
If you need expert guidance and customised diet plans then you have come to the right place. Please visit:
I will personally guide you in your quest to go ‘stone-free’ and make sure you feel and become healthier and happier!:)
Related Health Tips
PROTEIN POWDERS: ARE THE..
WHAT IS PROTEIN? Protein is actually building blocks of body (bones, muscles and skin). Protein is an essential macro-nutrient that helps build muscle, repair tissues and makes enzymes and hormones..
GAIN WEIGHT IN A HEALTHY ..
You may be confused about the title of this blog because who wants to gain weight right? Well, there are people who may be naturally skinny and want to add on some muscle mass, or there are people who..