Health Tip Details
GAIN WEIGHT IN A HEALTHY WAY
You may be confused about the title of this blog because who wants to gain weight right? Well, there are people who may be naturally skinny and want to add on some muscle mass, or there are people who have been through unhealthy relationships with food and lost too much weight and are now looking to add back on a few pounds. Also, some people may be overcoming an illness and need to get back to an ideal weight. No matter what the reasoning is, here are some helpful tips for you to gain weight in a HEALTHY way.
But first, before I go any further …
When I say gain weight in a HEALTHY way, it DOESN’T mean you should go eat fast food like crazy and have a YOLO meal all day every day. There are ways to gain weight while optimizing health. You need nutrients to give your body what it needs to GROW.
Here are some healthy ways to gain weight when you're underweight:
- Eat more frequently. When you're underweight, you may feel full faster. Eat five to six smaller meals during the day rather than two or three large meals.
- Choose nutrient-rich foods. As part of an overall healthy diet, choose whole-grain breads, pastas and cereals; fruits and vegetables; dairy products; lean protein sources; and nuts and seeds.
- Include drinks and shakes in your diet . Drink whole milk to quench thirst, simple way to get more high calories and proteins. Don't fill up on diet soda, coffee and other drinks with few calories and little nutritional value. Instead, drink smoothies or healthy shakes made with milk and fresh or frozen fruit, and sprinkle in some ground flaxseed.
- Eat enough proteins : Eating an adequate amount of protein will help support your muscle mass and growth – and that is one thing that you do NOT want to deteriorate! Also, if you’re active then you REALLY need to ensure you meet your protein requirements. Eat protein first and vegetables last, if you have a mix food on your plate. A general recommendation is between 0.8g-1g of protein per kg of body weight.
- Watch when you drink. Some people find that drinking fluids before meals blunts their appetite. In that case, it may be better to sip higher calorie beverages along with a meal or snack. For others, drinking 30 minutes after a meal, not with it, may work.
- Make every bite count. Snack on nuts, peanut butter, cheese, dried fruits and avocados. Squeeze in an additional meal or snack whenever you can such as before bedtime.
- Top it off. Add extras to your dishes for more calories — such as cheese in casseroles and scrambled eggs, and fat-free dried milk in soups and stews, nut butter in smoothies, sprouts in salad or seeds in yoghurt, cream to coffee.
- Have an occasional treat. Even when you're underweight, be mindful of excess sugar and fat. An occasional slice of pie with ice cream is OK. But granola bars are good choices.
- Don’t drink water before meals. This can feel your stomach and make it harder and to get in enough calories.
- Use bigger plates. Definitely use larger plates if you’re trying to get in more calories, as smaller plates cause people to automatically eat less.
- Exercise. Exercise, especially strength training, can help you gain weight by building up your muscles. Exercise may also stimulate your appetite.
- Get quality sleep. Sleeping properly is very important for muscle growth.
- Keep a food dairy. I want you to record WHAT you eat, WHEN you eat and HOW you feel. Recording what you’re eating will help you identify where you can improve your eating habits and potentially add more to your meals and snacks
- Be patient and set realistic goals. Gaining weight is much the same as losing weight in the sense that it shouldn’t be rushed and it won’t happen overnight.
- Don’t smoke. Smokers tend to weigh less then non-smokers, and quitting smoking often leads to weight gain.
Although being lean can often be healthy, being underweight can be a concern if it's the result of poor nutrition or if you are pregnant or have other health concerns. So, if you're underweight, see your doctor or dietitian for an evaluation. Together, you can plan how to meet your goal weight.
Click on this link for more healthy and nutritious recipes that will help you to gain weight.
Most Popular Tips
EAT RIGHT, STAY FIT AND LOSE WEIGHT DURING RA..
06 May 2019
THE WONDER FOOD: CHIA SEEDS
19 Jun 2018
Triphala – An Ayurvedic Miracle
07 Jun 2018
Health Tip Categories
Related Health Tips
Is my vaginal discharge n..
I have a lot of females coming to me complaining about white discharge. This discharge is known as leucorrhea, and it's completely normal. However, if the discharge is accompanied by itc..
ARE MY STRESS LEVELS HARM..
I see a lot of patients every day and a large chunk of the crowd that I tend to are from the corporate sector. There isn’t denying the fact that corporate lifestyle offers you a good standard of..