Health Tip Details
ARE MY STRESS LEVELS HARMING ME?
I see a lot of patients every day and a large chunk of the crowd that I tend to are from the corporate sector. There isn’t denying the fact that corporate lifestyle offers you a good standard of living; however, it is not just a bed of roses.
The hectic working hours, the meeting of deadlines, sales target etc. are all a part of a successful corporate life. With money and high standard of living comes stress and with stress comes a lot of health problems.
But what is stress?
Stress is the body's reaction to any change that requires an adjustment or response. The body reacts to these changes with physical, mental, and emotional responses. Stress is a normal part of life. You can experience stress from your environment, your body, and your thoughts. Even positive life changes such as a promotion, a mortgage, or the birth of a child may produce stress.
How does stress affect health?
The human body is designed to experience stress and react to it. Stress can be positive, keeping us alert, motivated, and ready to avoid danger. Stress becomes negative when a person faces continuous challenges without relief or relaxation between stressors. As a result, the person becomes overworked, and stress-related tension builds.
Types of stress:
Acute stress: Stress which is only because of a situation like meeting a deadline or some upcoming exam is acute stress. This is normal and everyone faces this once in a while.
Episodic acute stress:
Some people seem to experience acute stress over and over. This is sometimes referred to as episodic acute stress. Some people tend to worry endlessly about bad things that could happen, are frequently in a rush and impatient with too many demands on their time, which can contribute to episodic acute stress.
The third type of stress is called chronic stress. This involves ongoing demands, pressures and worries that seem to go on forever, with little hope of letting up. Chronic stress is very harmful to people’s health and happiness.
WHAT DOES STRESS DO TO ME?
- Low energy: Feeling lethargic, not being able to get up from bed. Not feeling like working are common if you are under stress.
- Headaches: Chronic headache can be caused if you have chronic stress.
- Upset stomach, including diarrhea, constipation and nausea: Your gut is directly linked to your mental health. If you are stressed, then you may experience a lot of gastrointestinal issues.
- Aches, pains and tense muscles: Your body will feel heavy and you will experience a lot of tension in the muscles. Tight muscles, pain in the body can also be because you have high stress levels.
- Chest pain and rapid heartbeat: You may even suffer a stroke if you have chronic stress. People who worry all the time tend to have cardiovascular problems.
- Insomnia: Stress can mess up your sleep pattern completely making you sluggish. Insomnia leads to lethargy, low energy and bad mood.
- Frequent colds and infections: Well, stress has a direct impact on the infection fighting capacity of your body. So, yeah! If you are stressed, then you will fall ill more often than not!
- Anxiety: Being anxious once in a while is fine. However, if you are reeling under stress, then you may have anxiety attacks which can hamper your self-confidence and also underplay your abilities.
- Anger, irritability: Stress can cause severe temper issues. If you are always under stress, you can never be happy. If you are not happy, then you will tend to get frustrated. Temper issues follow and you tend to have really bad mood swings.
- Depression: And if the stress is uncontrolled then you may end up in depression. You may require professional help to fight it
- Difficulty concentrating: When your mind is not fresh, you cannot concentrate completely. And if you cannot concentrate then you cannot come up with fresh ideas and innovation.
- Low self- esteem: Anxiety attacks, temper issues, depression, health problems all lead to bad performance in every aspect of life. You will ruin relationships, work-life etc. and then you will have low self-esteem will and lack of confidence
- Weakened immune system: Your immunity works best when you are in a positive frame of mind. Your body can’t deal with all the worrying that you do. It will start behaving in an unruly manner and make you susceptible to all forms of metabolic disorders.
So, what is the solution?
- Don’t take stress!! Period!! Believe me, you have more control of your mind than you think you have.
- Meditate every day.
- Do yoga/Zumba/dance. Whatever you like.
- Exercise every day.
- Find time for family and friends
- Do some recreational activities
- Eat right and follow a regular healthy eating pattern.
- Drink a lot of water
- And consciously think positive and count the blessings in your life rather than concentrating on the negatives!!
Be happy and keep reading my blog and get in touch with us if you need us to plan a healthy, immunity boosting or weight loss diet!!!
Most Popular Tips
EAT RIGHT, STAY FIT AND LOSE WEIGHT DURING RA..
06 May 2019
THE WONDER FOOD: CHIA SEEDS
19 Jun 2018
Triphala – An Ayurvedic Miracle
07 Jun 2018
Health Tip Categories
Related Health Tips
Is my vaginal discharge n..
I have a lot of females coming to me complaining about white discharge. This discharge is known as leucorrhea, and it's completely normal. However, if the discharge is accompanied by itc..
Fight Covid-19 with these..
With the outbreak of coronavirus, comes the fear of contracting it. A lot of you have already read about it and know that boosting your immunity is the best you can do to fight Covid-19.&nb..