Guidelines For Healthy Hair
Foods and Vitamins to Consume Every Day
Having a healthy diet is a key factor to stopping hair loss and promoting hair growth. Depending on your schedule it may be tough to adhere to some of these standards, but most are easily followed once you make a conscious decision to stick to the plan. Some key dietary points to note:
- Eat a solid amount of fresh fruits and vegetables every day. Leafy greens (e.g. lettuce) and sweet juicy fruits (e.g. melons) are especially good, and fruits that are ripe are easier to digest.
- Be sure to consume an adequate amount of protein every day. Protein is required for all cells in the body to grow, including hair cells. Lean proteins and low-fat milk or yogurt are best, as they are easier to digest. Animal proteins (i.e. dairy, meat, seafood) are especially beneficial because they are complete proteins, in that they contain the eight essential amino acids that the body cannot produce on its own, but are required for protein synthesis and muscle growth. Proteins are also a good source of B-vitamins and zinc.
- Eat several servings of whole grains every day. They are easy to digest and also contain biotin, silica and iron, which are essential to maintaining healthy hair. Brown rice and lentils are great options, and are also easy to incorporate into one’s diet.
- Try to incorporate seeds and nuts into your diet. They can be eaten as a snack or with a meal. Seeds and nuts (e.g. walnuts, almonds, and pumpkin seeds) provide essential fatty acids which are vital for promoting hair growth.
- Include spices in your meals. Spices help the body to absorb the nutrients from the foods that you eat. These nutrients are essential for promoting hair growth. Some everyday options include parsley, oregano and black pepper.
- Cut down on processed foods. These foods usually do not contain much in the way of nutritional value, and they also contain additives, which help give it a long shelf-life but can have a negative impact on the body.
- Have a multi-vitamin and a time-release Vitamin C tablet every day. A daily multi-vitamin is important because even with a great diet, it is hard for the body to receive all the vitamins and minerals that it needs in order to promote hair growth. Vitamin C helps the body to repair the small muscle tears that occur when you exercise (which is also a key part of my program). If the body has to worry about repairing muscle tears, it cannot concentrate on growing hair.
- Stay hydrated. Be sure to drink enough water to keep the body replenished, but sipping water every fifteen minutes is unnecessary. Eight to ten glasses of water a day is a good target to keep the body hydrated. Please keep in mind that fruits and vegetables are largely composed of water, and can also be used to reach the recommended hydration level.